To run SimplChat you will need:1. Some hosting space,
2. A media server or media server hosting (Red5 , FMIS)
3. Your web site users need Flash Player 8
1. Some normal web hosting space:Some hosting space with PHP or ASP support will do just fine. This is the place where the video chat software will be installed and most probably where your web site is already located.
2. A media server, you have 2 options:This server takes care of all the video, audio and text data exchanged between the users.
There are 2 media servers you can use:
Red5Red5 is a free open source media server developed in Java. You can download Red5 and install it on your own dedicated or VPS server.
If you do not have a dedicated server yet, you can buy one with Red5 pre installed from hostv.com .
More info and installation instructions on the official page here: http://code.google.com/p/red5/.
SimplChat is compatible with Red5 0.7, 0.8 and 1.0 RC1 .
Flash Media Interactive ServerFMIS is the initial media server developed by Adobe. There are several ways you can use it:
× You can download the free Developer Edition (limited to max 10 simultaneous connections) and install it on your own dedicated or VPS server.
× You can buy it ($4500 in the U.S.) and install it on your own dedicated or VPS server. View full pricing.
× You can get FMIS hosting for as low as $6/month from one of the available FMIS hosting providers:
The deciding factor must be how close your users are to them. Uvault, Influxis and MoreMx have servers in both North America and in Europe.
Note: If you go with FMIS hosting you don't have to move your entire web site. The FMIS hosting will only take care of the video, audio, and text data exchanged between the users connected to it!
3. End user requirements:A modern Internet browser with Flash Player 9 or above installed. Nothing else! And it looks like at least 95% of the Internet users already have Flash Player 9 installed.